Acne breakout around mouth is most irritating condition for anyone. It causes discomfiture and lower self-esteem of the people. Not only teenagers suffer from acne but acne breakouts are also seen in women during their mid to late 20s. Mostly women suffer from acne break out around their mouth previous to their menstruation so it is named as perioral acne. Acne breakouts also occur in men. Acne breakout around the mouth can reduce the ability of people to actively engage in the world because when they speak, smile, or eat, every time they will be reminded about their breakout.
Generally, acne breakouts are seen on the cheeks, forehead and chin. Acne breakouts are of different types including blackheads, pustules, whiteheads, pimples, cystic acne or zits. Mainly the hormonal imbalance is responsible for acne breakout around mouth. Hormones stimulate the oil glands that present around mouth block the follicles. So, bacteria are permitted to grow around that area and responsible for inflammation of skin. However, with proper care and treatment of this specific condition, you can treat the acne breakout around the mouth.
Causes of acne breakout around the mouth:
Acne breakout around the mouth can be caused by number of factors described below including the reason for the cause of acne breakouts.
Wrong Use or Overuse of Cosmetics:
Acne around the mouth is generally caused by the overuse or wrong use of lip-balms around the mouth. Adding extra oil to that area is responsible for acne. It is important to apply cosmetics on the basis of skin type. If your skin has already acne, then application of greasy or oily creams or other cosmetic items aggravate the skin problem. Cosmetic products are composed of so many compounds which cause acne breakouts around mouth. When a lip-balm is continuously reapplied, the lips loose its ability to moisturize themselves. So, when it is not applied, skin becomes dry and chapped.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate:
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a more importunate cause for acne breakout around the mouth. This chemical substance is mostly present in toothpaste to make it foamier. Harmful detergents also contain sodium lauryl sulfate. If your toothpaste contains sodium lauryl sulfate, then it irritates the most sensitive areas of the skin. It may also cause mouth sores or ulcers along with acne around the mouth. So, change your brand of toothpaste which does not contain SLS to avoid acne around the mouth.
It is one of the main causes of acne breakouts around mouth. Mostly, hormonal changes take place during puberty which can lead to acne breakouts. During pregnancy, women body undergoes so many hormonal changes that result in acne breakouts. Also, the menstrual cycle of women can cause acne, especially a week previous to menstruation. During the pregnancy and after ovulation, progesterone hormone levels are elevated in women. Some contraceptives based on progesterone can also provoke acne in women and in this case, switching to drug is necessary.
Lifestyle and Unhealthy Diet:
Lifestyle and Diet also play an important role to develop acne around the mouth. Consumption of processed foods and unhealthy drinks which are lack of nutritional value can cause acne breakouts on the face or around mouth. Other factors which aggravate acne breakouts are sleeping patterns and hygiene. Lack of sleep can cause hormonal changes and plays a major role to provoke acne. Unhygienic condition of skin allows the dirt to enter into pores. So, adequate oxygen is not supplied to the skin for nourishing which leads to acne breakouts around mouth and other areas.
Acne breakouts may be caused due to hereditary reasons. If one of your family members has such problem, then you may have the risk to develop acne breakouts on face. No studies have suggested such problem. Even if your other family members have acne, you might get away with occasional acne.
According to some clinical studies, stress is not the cause of acne breakouts but it may worsen the condition. It stimulates the adrenal glands for the production of more hormones and also decelerates the healing process of acne. So, acne may remain for a longer time.
Perorial dermatitis is another condition that is not acne at all but might be rash. It is a noncontagious condition that occurs on exposure to substances that are allergic to your body. It can be easily identified by the rashy eruptions around the mouth, on the chin, under and around the eyes and the lower part of nose. This type of acne is caused due to stress, exposure to sun, using occlusive cosmetics or moisturizing products. A breakout frequently appears after a flu, cold, or other illness. These rashes are slightly red in appearance.
How to get rid of acne around mouth?
- To get rid of acne around mouth, first you have to do is to avoid touching that area. Remember that hands are great source of microscopic bacteria which are transferred to your face while touching and aggravate the breakout condition. Money is full of bacteria and germs so wash your hands properly after handling it.
- Also, it is the best way to wash your face at least twice a day. Avoid too much washing of face as it can lead to dry skin. You can use a mild cleanser for in-between cleansing for example after working out. To reduce the chances of bacteria that cause inflammation around the mouth area, use an anti-bacterial soap for washing purpose.
- Avoid the use of hydrogen peroxide to clear out acnes as it is not highly effective. Also, it irritates the skin and helps the pimple to get infected.
- Avoid the use of mineral oil and lanolin based products as they have irritating effect on skin. Be careful while applying creams and cleansers containing harsh ingredients.
- Rinse your makeup pads and cosmetic brushes with soapy water minimum two or three times a week.
- Only use non-clogging moisturizers and makeup and oil-free sunscreens. Keep in mind to remove all applied makeup and cosmetic products before going to bed.
- Always keep moisturized skin around the mouth. Do not use any kind of chapstick or lip makeup. If any type of acne is observed to form, then take ice and hold it on that area for about 15 minutes.
- Increase your intake of Vitamin B and Zinc. Also, do massage on the affected area with different foods including orange peels, nutmeg, and garlic.
Other home remedies:
- Lemon juice is greatly helpful to get rid of acne breakout around mouth. When lemon juice is applied on acne prone sensitive skin, it can cause a burning sensation so dilute it with rose water before application.
- Lavender Oil is the simple and effective home remedy to clear out acne around mouth. Clean face with an antibacterial cleanser and then take an ice cube and gently massage it around the mouth. After that dry the face with towel and apply lavender oil on acne. It will minimize the swelling and redness of skin due to its antibacterial properties.
- The redness and swelling linked with acne around the mouth can also be treated by applying cucumber juice, aloe vera gel, and yogurt.
You can also use topical creams and lotions containing benzoyl peroxide as one ingredient to get rid of acne breakout around mouth. Many over the counter antibiotic medications are available for example erythromycin which helps to reduce bacteria on the skin and so prevent the occurrence of acne.
- To prevent recurrence of acne, regularly clean your skin as it avoids the build up dirt and oil on the skin.
- Every few days, change your pillowcases and evade scarves and turtlenecks as they have irritating effect on your mouth. Avoid incorporation of foods that you have found to trigger breakouts.
- Vigorously scrubbing of the skin can cause the aggravation of acne so avoid this.
- Avoid over exposure to sun and apply sunscreen while going outside.
- Take plenty of rest; consume a healthy & balanced diet, and drink alcoholic beverages in restraint.
- Drink lots of water to avoid the drying of skin.
- To avoid further dehydrating of the skin, avoid hot water for bath and take bath in warm rather.
- Do not extract sebum from the acne and give enough time to allow the pimple heal itself.
Does Toothpaste Cause Acne? Acne Treatment Advice video from Youtube: