A waffle is a batter or dough based cake cooked between two hot plates called a waffle iron. It has distinctive and characteristic shape. Its grid like appearance is due to raised partitions on the waffle iron. For breakfast, waffles are most often eaten. It is one of the easiest and tastiest breakfasts. Waffles are available in lots of varieties. Belgian waffles are the delicious type from these varieties.
Belgian waffles are also called as Brussels waffles. Instead of the pancake batter, Yeast-leavened batter is used to prepare Belgian waffle which is the main difference of it from other varieties. Belgian waffles will be made fluffy, soft and yummy by the use of yeast. Instead of yeast, you can also use baking powder or cake flour but it will not give the best result as given by yeast. Generally, Belgian waffles are lighter, thicker, and crispier and also it has larger pockets compared to other waffle varieties. Most waffles are served warm by street vendors and dusted with confectioner’s sugar in Belgium. But in tourist areas, they might be topped with whipped cream, soft fruit or chocolate spread.
Belgian Waffle recipes:
Belgian Waffle recipe 1:
- 4 medium eggs
- Vanilla sugar
- one sachet (7g) instant dried yeast
- whole milk (you can also add some sparkling mineral water and make them even fluffier)
- two sticks (1/2 lb. — 250g) butter
- 3 1/4 cups (1 lb. — 500g) all purpose flour
- salt (as needed)
- Heat a cup of milk at a medium flame until it is warm. Then, mix this warm milk with yeast. After that, stand it for sometime.
- During this mean time, liquefy the butter, but stop as soon as it melts. Don’t over heat or burn butter because it will lose the taste of butter.
- From the egg whites, separate the egg yolks and beat the egg whites until you get snow.
- Then, take a big giant huge bowl and in this bowl add all the flour, vanilla sugar (one sachet) and some salt. Create a hole in the middle of the flour and fill it with melted butter, dissolved yeast and egg yolk.
- In above mixture, add previously prepared mixture of yeast and milk. Mix it very well so no lump formation will take place. Add milk until the dense should the dough.
- Now, mix the beaten egg whites into the dough.
- Depart the dough to rest and rise at room temperature until the volume of the dough doubles or even triples.
- To grease the waffle iron (which should be hot), use oil so, your waffles don’t stick to it and then pour the dough in it. Bake this mixture, until they turn golden brown.
Belgian Waffle recipe 2:
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. superfine sugar
- For Waffle Batter:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. melted butter
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 c. sifted cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- First of all, flog the first three ingredients and place them in refrigerator to chill.
- Then, preheat a waffle iron.
- Onto a piece of waxed paper, sieve the flour, baking powder, 1/4 c. sugar, and salt together.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks and then add the milk, vanilla and melted butter in it. Left this mixture in to the dry ingredients and stir it for just enough to combine.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate clean bowl until they are stiff but not dry and fold them into the batter gently.
- Then, bake this mixture in a seasoned waffle iron at medium heat until the steam stops escaping.
- With confectioner’s sugar, dust the baked waffles and top it with whipped cream. You can also put sliced strawberries or peaches on top for garnishing.
Belgian Waffle recipe 3:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Fruit of your choice
- 2 tablespoons confectioner sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs, separated
- Whipped cream
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Mix the flour, baking powder, confectioner sugar, oil, milk and egg yolks.
- Thrash the egg whites until they stand in soft peaks and fold into the batter (do not overmix).
- Pour 1/8 of the mixture into a hot waffle iron by using a 4-ounce scoop. Then, bake it for about 2 minutes.
- Repeat the same procedure with remaining batter.
- Finally, garnish it with the fruit and whipped cream and serve hot.