From the children to old age people, almost everyone loves to eat potatoes. India is very diverse country and therefore you can taste many delicious dishes of potatoes having different method of cooking as per different regions. It is very much delicious and high carbohydrate food, also rich in vitamins B6, C, potassium and dietary fiber. You can find many Indian potato recipes that are mostly loved by kids also easy and quick to make. You can make roasted, curried, fried or simply baked potatoes snacks that are simply “delicious and wow” that you can serve to guest. You can make different snacks, appetizers, sizzlers, main course items, soup etc. by using the potatoes as the main ingredient. Here we give you some of the different and easy recipes with potato as main ingredient.
Potato Roast Recipe:
Ingredients for Potato Roast:
Potatoes, Rice flour, Refined Oil, Asafetida, Cumin seeds, Cumin powder, Fennel seed powder, Coriander powder, Red chili powder, Turmeric powder, Salt, finely chopped Coriander leaves.
- Wash 3 large potatoes and boil them into the pressure cooker on high flame up to two whistles. Now, leave it in cooker for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Peel out skin of potatoes and make cube of it.
- Take all cube potatoes into the bowl and add 1 or 1/2 tbsp rice flour and toss potatoes to coat well.
- Take one bowl and mix 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 3/4 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tbsp coriander powder, 1/2 tbsp saunf/fennel powder and salt as per your taste.
- Pour 1 tbsp refined oil into the heavy bottomed vessel, when oil heats up add some cumin seeds to splutter. Now reduce the flame and add 1/4 tsp asafetida and mixture of all spice powder; bake all spices for few seconds.
- Add rice floor coated potato cubes into the spices and stir it to mix properly with the spice mixture. Cook it on the low flame till crispy layer formed.
- Take into the serving bowl and garnish with the fresh chopped coriander leaves.
Ingredients for Potato Curry:
Russet potatoes, refined oil, cumin seed, asafetida, gram flour, whole red chili, yogurt, sesame seeds, coconut powder, ginger, green chili adjust to taste, coriander powder, funnel seed powder, turmeric, red chili powder, paprika, salt, garam masala, chopped cilantro.
- Peel 4 medium size russet potatoes and cut them in medium sized cube.
- Take a frying pan; pour oil into it over a medium heat.
- When oil heats up, fry potatoes untill they are perfectly cooked and turn it moderately. Once they get fried perfectly, take out and put it on the paper towel to soak excess oil.
- Now, take a pan and heat 2 tbsp oil. Add 1 tsp sesame seed and cook it till its color gets changed; take out them to get cool.
- Now, take fried sesame seeds, 1 tbsp coconut powder, 1/4 inch of ginger and 1 green chili into the bowl and blend them to make a paste. Add water if required.
- Make mixture of sesame paste, 1/4 cup yogurt, ginger, 1 green chili, 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tbsp funnel seed powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, and 1/2 tsp turmeric.
- Heat up 2 tbsp oil into a saucepan and when oil is heated up; add 1 to 2 red chili and besan. Stir the besan till it becomes the golden brown. Now, add spice paste and stir till spices start separating from oil.
- Now, add fried potatoes and one cup of water. Allow it to cook for 8 to 10 minutes and balance the gravy as per your liking. Add chopped cilantro and 1/2 tsp garam masala and cover up the pan.
- Serve it with the bread or Indian flatbread.
Easy Potato Soup:
Ingredients for Potato Soup per person:
Potato, celery, onion, milk or cream, salt and pepper
- Peel one large potato and wash it. Make cubes of it.
- Take a saucepan and add 1/4 cup chopped onions and 1/4 cup chopped celery into it.
- Add some water into the pan. Allow it to boil.
- Once it comes to boil, lower down the heat and cover it for 25 minutes.
- Crush potatoes by making it chunk left.
- Now, add1/4-1/2 cup of milk or cream as per thickness you want into the soup.
- Add salt and paper as per your taste.
Ingredients for Aloo Kurkure:
Boiled , peeled and mashed potatoes, mint leaves, green chillies, roasted cumin powder, lemon juice, plain flour, salt, oil to fry. For serving you can take sweet and sour sauce.
- In a big bowl, add 1 cup mashed potatoes, 1/2 cup chopped mint leaves, 1/2 tbsp finely chopped green chillies, 1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder, 1/2 tsp lemon juice and salt. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Now, make medium sized balls of mixture and keep them on side.
- Take 1/3 cup of plain flour in the bowl and make its thick and smooth paste.
- Heat oil into the frying pan and fry potato balls dipped into the flour paste. Fry potato balls till it becomes golden brown.
- Once, they dip fired take them into the absorbent paper.
- Serve with the Sweet and sour sauce when they are hot.
Potato Masala Quiche Pastry:
Ingredients for Potato Masala Quiche Pastry:
Potatoes Oil, 12 Pastry sheets, frozen Spinach or fresh spinach, cumin powder, chili powder, onion, chat masala, Mozzarella cheese, coriander powder.
- Preheat your oven on 400 degrees.
- Spray or coat refined oil in muffin tins.
- Cook 5 to 6 potatoes into the pressure cooker till they become soft and let them cool. Once they cool, peel out the outer layer of potatoes and smash it.
- Take smashed potatoes into the bowl and add 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tbsp of cumin powder, 1 tbsp of chili powder and pinch of chat masala and mix them well.
- Now, add 1 cup finely chopped onion and 1 cup spinach into the mixture of smashed potatoes. Mix all the ingredients well to get perfect taste.
- To make the cup, fold over pastry sheet in the top to bottom side and bring two opposite ends together. Repeat the procedure to bind another two ends.
- Put folded pastry into the oil coated muffin tin cups. Fill the pastry with the mixture of smashed potatoes about 1 to 2 tbsp.
- On top of the pastry, put 1-2 tbsp of mozzarella cheese.
- Place all muffin tins cups into the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes till pastry becomes golden brown.
- Once they get cooked perfectly, serve pastry with the sauce or mint chutney.
Indian potato pie:
Ingredients for Indian potato pie:
Potatoes, sweet potatoes, onion, olive oil, cumin seeds, garlic, red chilli; ginger, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, chilli flakes, Juice of one lemon, 25g butter, 275g pack filo pastry, ½ tsp poppy seeds.
- Take a big pan with the salted water and add approximately 700g sliced potatoes into it and boil them. Cook them for 5 minute and add around 400g sliced sweet potatoes into it and let them cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Heat oil into the pan and add 1 chopped onion into it. Cook onion till they become soft. Now, add 1 tsp cumin seed and make them to splutter.
- Now, add other spices as 2 crushed garlic cloves, ginger, 1 finely chopped red chilli, 1 tsp cumin powder and mix all the spices well and let them cook about two to three minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Add potatoes, peas, lemon juice and 1 tsp coriander powder and mix them well.
- Turn on the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- Using a sharp knife, cut filo sheets in two parts and use two-thirds of them; then overlapping to line a 22cm loose-bottomed cake tin with a little overhang.
- Brush each sheet with melted butter as you lay and cover the rest of filo sheets with a clean tea towel so the remaining sheets doesn’t dry out.
- Next, spoon in filling and press down gently.
- After that fold up overhanging sides and scrunch up pastry near the edges of filo.
- Stab some of the slits on the top side of the pastry and cover it again with more butter. Decorate it with the poppy seeds.
- Put pastry into the oven for 40 to 45 minutes till it becomes golden brown.
- Once it baked, serve it hot or cool with the lemon edges.