Shankhpushpi is a twining perennial herb considered as the most wonderful gift of nature to the mankind. In Ayurveda (an ancient system of Indian medicine), it is mentioned as a rasayana which is commonly used as brain stimulator and memory enhancer. The herb has appearance like morning glory with blue flowers situated at alternate positions with flowers or branches. In India, it is commonly found in the state of Bihar. This herb’s all parts are used medicinally and have beneficial effect on the body. It is considered to be the only herb which has the ability to enhance all the aspects connected to brain power, for example memory, learning, and the ability to recall.
Image Source: commons.wikimedia.org
Shankhpushpi belongs to the family Gentianaceae and has botanical name, Convolvulus pluricaulis. The whole herb is used as an alterative, tonic, and febrifuge. It is used in the form of decoction with milk and cumin. Regarding this herb, some medical research has been carried out. One study has shown that shankhpushpi includes anti-ulcer effects because of growth of mucosal defensive factors such as glycoproteins and mucin secretion. As per another study, shankhpushpi may be helpful to treat the symptoms of the hyperthyroidism by decreasing the liver enzyme activity.
- Shankhpushpi is mainly used as brain stimulator due to its chemical composition, including phytonutrients like Convolvine, Convolidine, Convoline, Convolvidine, Confoline, Subhirsine, β-Sitosterol, Phyllabine, and Scopoline. It is one of the best natural remedy which helps to improve memory. Also, the herb helps to boost the ability to concentrate.
- Shankhpushpi controls the production of body’s stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline, thus it has reducing effect on stress and anxiety.
- The herb is also used in the treatment of disorders like hypotension, hypertension, etc.
- It has soothing action on the nervous system so it is used as a tranquilizer for anxiety neurosis and sleeplessness.
- Due to its memory enhancing property, it is useful to treat neurodegenerative diseases like dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- The extract of herb helps to decrease the total cholesterol level in the blood with the inclusion of phospholipids, triglycerides, and fatty acids.
- The liver enzyme activity can be reduced by this herb, so it is used to lessen the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
- The herb is also advantageous in rejuvenation therapy and works as tranquilizer and psycho-stimulant.
- It is also effective against the ulcers of the body by improving the bone marrow quality and nerve tissues.
- The plant can be used to treat constipation due to its laxative properties.
- The herb Shankhpushpi promotes good sleep and brings relief in mental fatigue. Also, it serves to induce a feeling of peace and calm.
- The ethanolic extract of herb reduces the levels of non esterified fatty-acid (NEFA) which are the main risk factor for the death due to cardiac arrest.
- It is the best herb that can be used to enhance beauty and to nourish all the layers of skin.
- The herb has a refreshing effect on overall health and promotes weight gain.
- Leaves of the plant are used to treat asthma and bronchitis.
- Shankhpushpi is a good tranquilizer, a natural memory stimulant, and a powerful brain tonic.
- The plant extract is believed to be good for treating hematemesis and insanity.
- For insomnia, the herb powder can be taken by mixing with cumin and milk.
- The plant root is herbal remedy to treat childhood fever.
- It supports digestion and avoids fluid retention in the body.
- It is also used as an aphrodisiac and has the ability to treat seminal debility.
- In Ayurveda, it is also used to treat epilepsy.
- Daily use of the herb can boost your immune system.