A blocked ear can be quite an upsetting experience as an imbalance in the pressure of the ear. Either a foreign body or an impacted cerumen is responsible for the blockage of ear. For the effective treatment of blocked ear, it is necessary to figure out the cause responsible for the blockage of ear. The signs and symptoms of ears blocked include feeling of an ear pain, fractional loss of hearing and sometimes person might feel clicks in the ear. Hearing may be impaired slightly and so it is easy to detect blocked ear. Some people observe a humming sound that would echo on speaking.
The ear plays a vital role to maintain the balance and equilibrium of an individual so it is important to lookout when it comes to the ears. In case of blocked ears, person will be able to notice the pressure and the difference while yawning, swallowing, and either sneezing or coughing. The feeling of discomfort is the main problem associated with blocked ears. As this is a common occurrence, several causes are accountable for blocked ears and few of them require a doctor’s attention.
Causes of Blocked Ears:
While suffering from sinus infections, blockage of ear may take place. The air and fluids pass through small openings in the head named sinuses. Cold or allergies cause clogging or swelling of these openings, leading to sinus infection. Because of cold or allergies, sinus get inflamed very much that results in the closing of the Eustachain tube, the canal which joins the ear, nose and throat. Blockage of this canal results in blocked ears.
Ear wax is a yellowish substance which is present in everyone’s ear. It is secreted within the canals of the ear and protects the ear from dust, insects, and water. Also, it helps to keep the ear clean and dry. One of the important causes of blocked ears is ear wax. While cleaning the ear with cotton buds, some ear wax get entry inside the ear. The ears become blocked when this wax continuously accumulate there in layers.
Another reason that cause blockage of ear is cold. Ear, nose and throat are internally connected and so this condition takes place. A canal which joins the ears and the nasal passage gets trapped with the mucus. In normal condition, this canal is closed but when the balancing of the overall pressure is necessary, it opens. The mucus and the bacteria get entry to this canal and cause severe ear blocks while suffering from cold. Symptoms of this block are pain and impaired hearing.
Other common causes:
- Ear infections such as yeast or fungal infection
- Flying in an airplane
- Entering of foreign objects such as insect
- Accumulation of water due to swimming
- Injury to the area that causes blood to clot and harden
- Poor ear hygiene or infrequent cleaning of the ears
- Buildup of mucus along the Eustachian tube
Cures for Blocked Ears:
The blocked ears can be cured by several ways.
To unblock ears, swallowing and yawning are the practical ways that release the pressure in your ears and restore your hearing ability. It also reduces pain. If they do not work, inhale some air and then close the nose. After that, exhale that air through the ears by applying some pressure. Do not apply too much of pressure. This technique will provide instant ear pain relief and unblock the ears. While traveling in an airplane, chewing on a gum is also helpful to release pressure in ears especially.
Inhalation of steam will also help to unblock the ears. It is one of the oldest methods. To carry out this, you have to require a basin full of hot water and a towel to cover your head in order to inhale steam. To get an instant relief, you can also add some drops of eucalyptus oil to the water. To pop clogged ear open, you can apply heated cloth pads over the ear as an alternative way.
- If the blockage of ear is caused due to accumulation of water, the best remedy is to let gravity to do its work. Tilt your head or jump up and down as it will work best to unclog ear.
- In case there is a lot of ear wax accumulation in your ear, oil can be used to soften the ear wax. Place two drops of warm olive oil in ear and lie down with the blocked ear facing the roof. Olive oil helps in gentle removal of earwax. After 5 minutes, get up and all the ear wax will drop out of the ear along with the olive oil. Use garlic oil if you have ear infection.
- To get rid of excessive ear wax, you can also use Hydrogen Peroxide. Put some drops of Hydrogen Peroxide with the use of dropper.
- If an insect is accidentally lodged inside your ears, put 1 or 2 drops of oil inside your ear. It will help to kill the insect and also help to drain out the foreign object from the ear.
- Take lots of fluids. Drink plenty of water a day as it could also treat the cold and prevent your ears from getting blocked.
- Consume vitamin C-rich diet such as fresh fruits and vegetables. It would minimize the symptoms of common cold and thereby lowers the secretion of mucus to the nasal cavity and Eustachian tube.
If you have difficulty to carry out above mentioned remedies, you can seek for medical help, or an ENT specialist. As a blocked ear could indicate a build-up of inner ear pressure or fluid, or even a viral disease, doctor or a specialist perform an accurate diagnosis and recommend appropriate medication for this condition. Medical attention is specially required in case of yeast infection as it can damage the eardrum and could cause permanent ear damage.
Ear Problems & Infections : How to Clear a Clogged Ear video from Youtube:
Clogged Ear Cure — EASY Home Remedy-for INNER ear! video from Youtube: