Got an irritating seasonal cough? Try these simple and effective Ayurvedic home remedies instead of cough syrup.
Changes or fluctuations in seasons and weather conditions cause a variety of infectious diseases. The person falls ill from bacteria and weak immunity, not from temperature. Cold, cough, fever and sore throat are the most common diseases what most of us suffer from. Among all of them, cough is the most annoying, disrupting and painful condition. A chronic cough interferes with daily activities and sleep. It even leads to headaches, chest pain, runny or stuffy nose, phlegm and hoarseness. Many people try a wide array of traditional medications while many depend on all-natural treatments to cure cough. Here are some simple but effective Ayurvedic home remedies to treat heavy seasonal cough naturally.
Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Cough
- Take one glass of warm milk and add 1 tsp. of pure clarified butter in it. Drink this milk daily before going to bed.
- Boil milk by adding turmeric, a pinch of salt and jaggery. Consume it daily to cure cough.
- Drink fresh goat’s milk by adding lump sugar to cure dry cough.
- Add 1tsp. of honey and 1tsp. of sesame oil in one glass of warm milk. Consume it for treating an irritating cough
- Boil a glass of milk with black pepper powder. Let the milk to cool and drink it to relieve cough.
- Grind black pepper & lump sugar in equal amount and then, add clarified butter. Suck on this mixture to ease the dry cough.
- Chew 4 to 5 black pepper along with 10 raisins.
- Add honey to black pepper powder and take it before going to bed.
Basil and Ginger
- Ginger and basil are very helpful in dry cough. Make a paste of basil leaves & ginger (equal quantity) and suck on to calm dry cough.
- Chew fresh basil leaves to cure coughing.
- For severe cough, combine basil juice with garlic juice and honey. Take 1 tsp. of this mixture every three hours.
- Consume the concoction of 1 tsp. onion juice, 1 tsp. ginger juice and 2 tsp. honey to get relief from cough.
- Take the mixture of onion juice and honey to cure cough.
- Crush a medium-sized onion and add one lemon juice, 1 tsp. honey and one cup of boiling water to it. Drink it 2 to 3 times a day.
- Make onion syrup for cough. Grate one onion into a bowl and add 3 Tbsp. of sugar to it. Wait until a syrupy liquid forms. Drain off the syrup and consume 1 tsp. at a time.
- Boil 2 to 3 crushed Garlic cloves in 2 cups of water. Strain it and let it to cool. Add some honey, a pinch of cayenne pepper and lemon juice. Drink this as many times as you want.
- Boil 3 to 4 garlic cloves in milk for a few minutes. Drink the milk to get rid of cough.
- Eat raw garlic daily if you can.
- Add garlic juice into pomegranate juice and drink it every 4 hours.
- Mix 1 tsp. ginger juice & 1 tsp. honey well and take 1 tsp. of it 3 times a day. This remedy is very effective for wet cough.
- Consuming turmeric and ginger powder with honey two time a day (morning & evening) cures cough.
- Add 1 tsp. raisin juice to 1 tsp. honey and consume it to ease cough.
- Mix raisin paste (100 grams) and sugar (100 grams) with water and boil until it becomes syrupy. Take 2 Tbsp. of the sauce at bedtime daily.
Eat a few roasted grams before going to bed and make sure you don’t drink water. This remedy is very helpful for cough.
Soak 5 almonds in water overnight and make a paste in the next morning after peeling the skin. Add 1 tsp. butter and powdered lump sugar to the paste. Consume the mixture three times a day to get instant relief from dry cough.
Turmeric Powder and Carom Powder
Add 1 tsp. of both, turmeric powder and carom powder in one glass of lukewarm water. Drink this concoction 2 times daily.
Mix 5 pinch of each, cardamom, ginger powder & black salt and consume the mixture with honey 2-3 times a day.
Combine 4 pinch of mustard powder, 2 pinch of black salt & 12 pinch of sugar powder and take it two times a day (morning and evening). This remedy is very effective for cough with phlegm.