Stomach aches is very common in kids. Most of the time stomach aches are not serious and children get better on their own. In children/kids, stomach ache is generally due to eating too much food or junk foods, candies and ice creams, constipation, etc. Children ingest their food before chewing them correctly, this also causes stomach ache in kids. Home remedies can provide comfort to the child. In the following article, there are remedies for stomach ache for kids.
Stomach ache in child can be mild to severe and might last for a short or longer duration. The stomach ache must not be ignored even it is mild. If the ache subsides within two to three hours, then there is no cause for concern but if it persists beyond three hours, and tends to get worse with each passing hour, or is accompanied with vomiting, severe stomach cramps, or loose motions, then you must consult the doctor straight away. The child must drink lot of water after meals and all through the day as it helps in proper digestion and bowel movements.
Symptoms of Stomach Ache in kids
- Loss of appetite
- Appendicitis may cause sharp pain localized in one area of the stomach
- Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea
- Gas formation may cause generalized pain in the abdomen
- The child suffers from pain in the abdominal area that is away from the umbilicus
Stomach Ache remedies
Rest is one of the most important things for your child to do. Resting on their stomach help with gas but eventually their comfort level will decide the best position for them.
Child may be stressed for many different reasons. A recent move, divorce, death, school problems or a change in routine may cause an upset stomach. The best way to determine if any of these are the issues is cuddling and talking to the child.
To help relieve the pain of an upset stomach, Tylenol, mylanta, pepto bismol are the examples of medications accessible at local store or pharmacy.
To relieve an upset stomach, a warm water bottle or bath can help. A heating pad may be used and pad should remain on low. Child should never lay on the pad instead lie on their back with the heating pad on their stomach.
To keep the body from dehydrating and causing more serious issues, clear fluids are very important. When vomiting and diarrhea are present Pedialyte is the best drink to give.
Using warmed vegetable or olive oil; massage the stomach in a gentle, circular clockwise direction. For younger children alternating between massage on bending the knees into the chest can help with colic, bowel movements and gas.
Home remedies for Stomach Ache
Baking soda helps to alleviate minor stomach pains. Children younger than 5, should not be given large amount of baking soda. 1/4 tsp. or less of baking soda mixed with 8 oz. of warm water can help to get rid of an upset stomach.
Lemon mixed with warm water help to ease the stomach pain. It helps the lower intestines alleviating constipation, although it is acidic. A diet of fresh fruit and juices for a day or two help in treating stomach ache in kids. Fresh fruit and juices like oranges, apples, pears, grapes and papaya helps to keep stomach ache away.
Mint and Lemon:
Mint and lemon are natural digestive assistants and have a soothing effect on disturb stomach. Lemon mixed with warm water relieves stomach pain and constipation. A tea made of a few mint leaves and a lemon slice will help the kid stomach trouble.
Ginger is a great home remedy to give the children with stomach pains. 1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger juice along with 1/2 teaspoon honey twice a day helps to ease digestion issues stemming from dyspepsia, flatulence, colic, spasm or other pains in the stomach. Ginger should not be used for the children younger than 2.
After sipping some buttermilk, the child will feel better. Stomach pain is also relieved by adding a teaspoon of coriander juice to a half glass of buttermilk.
Yogurt that has active cultures is useful to keep the stomach aches away. Plain yogurt with active cultures and without added flavors or sugars will help to keep digestive system regular.
Honey and Cinnamon:
Honey includes sugar, carbohydrate and antioxidant. Infants younger than 1 year old should not be given honey due to the risk of infant botulism. Eating a teaspoon of room-temperature honey will soothe the stomach. Cinnamon is a painkiller due to its natural prostaglandin-inhibiting action. For stopping stomach pain, add cinnamon into the tea.
Other home remedies:
- Massage the stomach with ginger juice. This is a very effective treatment for stomach ache.
- Boil some water and add a spoonful of cumin seeds to it. Add a tsp of honey to the mixture, once the seeds have correctly blended. Sip the mixture as a tea.
- Take some ‘ajwain’ seeds and put them in some water. Boil the water, until it gets a light tinge of yellow. Wait till the water becomes lukewarm and give it to the child. For insistent stomach aches, make the child drink this (half glass) on a daily basis.
- Lemon tea, with a few drops of honey added to it, is an effective treatment for stomach ache.
- As a cure for stomach ache, green tea is also effective. A warm up of green tea or lemon tea will help to decrease pain.
- Processed food like cheese, chocolate and dairy products should not give to the child when he/she is suffering from stomach ache.
- Chamomile, Peppermint and Meadowsweet tisanes are good for the digestion and will also help to soothe stomach ache when sipped after mealtimes.
- Mix mustard oil with a small amount of water. Beat till it becomes white. Massage gently on abdomen, especially the lower abdomen for stomach ache relief.
- Slippery Elm is famous for its soothing effect on the digestive system. The powdered bark can be enthused into a hot milky drink or warmed fruit juice. It can also be taken in tablet form after meals.
- Contaminated water must be purified.
- Maintain hygienic conditions at home.
- Avoid medicines without prescription.
- Take treatment of worms every year without fail to avoid the problem.
- To avoid constipation, maintain regular toiled habit of the child.
- Avoid over eating to keep digestion fit.
- Avoid excess candies, ice cream or fizzy drinks.
- Greasy and heavy food, gas formation should be avoided.
- Do not force the child to eat without appetite.
- Take care of extra mental stress on the child in studies.
Video of STOMACHACHE: Mommys ER, Natural Children’s Healthcare from youtube: