Coconut water contains lots of vitamins and minerals. It is safe to drink coconut water during pregnancy due to its many health benefits. Coconut water is a natural isotonic beverage which has similar level of electrolytes as the human body. Due to its similarity with human plasma, it has been used as an alternative during plasma transfusion for many years through out many countries. One of the purest forms of waters is the fresh coconut water. It has more electrolytes than any fruit or vegetable. No cholesterol is present in coconut water. It is full of salts and vitamins which are very important for the body.
Ripened coconuts have white flesh which is formed by water hardening. Matured coconuts are the brown and hairy coconuts. Immature coconuts are the green water coconuts. In the immature coconuts, minerals and other nutritional factors are present in high concentration. So, immature, green coconut water is more beneficial than matured one. The essential nutrients which are present in coconut water are considered as advantageous for both the mother and the growing fetus. Doctors also recommend pregnant women to drink a minimum of one coconut water every day. For keeping the body cool, coconut water is also helpful which has positive effect on both the mother and the baby.
- Dietary Fiber
- Saturated Fat
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12
- Pantothenic Acid
Nutritional requirements during pregnancy:
Pregnant women must require diet which contains adequate amounts of protein, iron, calcium, folate, iron, essential fatty acids and vitamins A and D. All these nutrients are needed for the formation of bones and teeth, muscles and hemoglobin in the baby. Coconut water fulfills almost all the nutritional requirements which are required during pregnancy.
Drinking of coconut water in pregnancy:
As the coconut water is the richest source of electrolytes, it is greatly recommended for people who are suffering from any illness. To regulate blood pressure and heart function, potassium from drinking coconut water can help. Also, it is a good source of dietary fiber, manganese, calcium, riboflavin and Vitamin C.
Due to isotonic property of coconut water, it helps in refilling fluid and natural salt loss that has occurred in the body by dehydration. Coconut water can greatly prevent dehydration and exhaustion. It is a natural and safe source to hydrate the body.
For Immune System:
Coconut water is rich in lauric acid and due to this it can have anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. Due to these properties, it strengthens the immune system of both the mother and the growing fetus by preventing the infections such as flu, HIV, Herpes, etc.
For high cholesterol:
Basically, coconut water is fat free and so it is known as a zero cholesterol beverage. It is also suggested that coconut water have a positive effect for raising the level of HDL means the good cholesterol level in the body. So, it can help to keep high cholesterol levels under test.
For prevention of heartburn:
It helps to prevent and treat heartburn which is another great health benefit of coconut water. It is believed that coconut water effectively helps in cleaning intestinal worms and the digestive tract. It can help in alleviating heartburn and constipation in pregnant women.
For prevention of urinary tract infection (UTI):
Coconut water can increase the flow and frequency of urine as it is a natural diuretic. So, coconut water can help in flushing out toxins from the body easily and thus it prevents urinary tract infection (UTI).
Coconut water is also well known to improve digestion. By cleansing your digestive tract, it helps to keep stomach in good working condition. It helps to relieve constipation, improve intestinal function and promote digestive health. It is also recommended to people who are suffering from acidity and ulcers.
Other health benefits of coconut water:
- It detoxifies the body and help to fight against infections.
- During pregnancy, it is also recommended to be mixed with sugar, saffron or turmeric. The white flesh of coconut can also be is considered as healthy for the mother and fetus both.
- The studies have shown that it decreases the chances of a urinary tract infection and even the occurrence of kidney stones.
- It is natural drink for feeding infants suffering from intestinal disturbances.
- It is excellent drink in cholera cases due its saline and albumen.
- It aids in the quick absorption of drugs and makes their peak concentration into the blood stream easier because of its electrolytic effect.
- It helps prevent osteoporosis.
- It helps control diabetes.
- It promotes healthy thyroid function.
- It provides quick energy.
- It helps to keep skin soft and smooth.
- It is found as a blood plasma substitute due to its sterile nature.
- It relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.
- It helps in gallbladder disease.
- It inhibits the growth of mycoplasma.
To gain all the above mentioned health benefits, pregnant women should drink coconut water on a daily basis.